Monday, January 08, 2007

Indiana + Polis


I wanted to try and learn a little about the history of the town that bored (that's correct) and raised me, because I am back home again in Indiana this weekend, and bored out of my mind. Unfortunately for aforementioned mind, learning about my city was just as boring as being in it.

It was founded as the state capital in 1821 by Indiana Supreme Court Judge Jerimiah Sullivan. It was founded here because the state legislature demanded that it be as close as possible to the center of the state. Great. In an incredible leap of intellect, he created the name of the city by combining Indiana (the name of the State) with Polis (which is Greek for city). Boy! Indiana City! Great. Yep.

Indianapolis appears to be most notorious for not quite being notable for anything. I'm so glad I took the time to find all this out.

That's really about it, the White River, which the developers had high hopes of being a central hub for transport and trade, proved to be too shallow and too sandy for anything but pavement in the 1990's. Admittedly, the canal is nice now, but it has become over run with rental pedi-carts.

Oh and Kurt Vonnegut is from here. Cool people call it Naptown.

from Wikipedia
and Indianapolis History

No comments:

2009 EDSEL/Lepanto Industries. aLT DELETE. A Division of LABOR CORP. NaDA Publishing.