Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Unbearable Lightness of Peeing

Since I am traveling to Africa in June (Malawi specifically), and I made the mistake of informing my mother of these plans before I was already in the country, I have been the recipient of a steady stream of things that will undoubtedly try to kill me on my travels. The most disturbing was her insistence that I not pee into any rivers or bodies of fresh water, citing a parasite that will swim up you urine stream and root itself in your urethra. I immediately agreed that this was not something that I have any desire to mess around with, and it is a small sacrifice to give up peeing into water.

Something of this description begs investigation however, so here it is. The parasite is a fish called the candiru which (phew) lives in the Amazon. It is a type of catfish that feasts principally on the blood of other animals. It is nearly translucent in water, and lays in wait at the bottom of the river for prey to happen by. The disturbing aspect of its parasitism is that it makes straight for the exposed orifices of the unsuspecting host. It swims in, hooks in its barbs, and gorges itself on blood until it becomes so swollen that its own exit becomes difficult.



The candiru's legendary ability to swim up pee streams is a myth, but they are aggressive, and will leap for it if at close enough range. Because of their barbs, they are nearly impossible to remove without surgery. They are on average about 3 inches long but can get up to 7.

So it looks like I'm off the hook with those buggers for now, but I've still got bilharzia parasites to worry about. Or, more accurately, for my mother to worry about. Sorry Mom. I'll bring you back somethin nice.

SOURCES:
Associated Content
Damn Interesting

No comments:

2009 EDSEL/Lepanto Industries. aLT DELETE. A Division of LABOR CORP. NaDA Publishing.