Monday, March 05, 2007

I Was WAY Off!



So there has been much posting on BoingBoing about Daleks lately. I assumed, based on their form and name, that they were some form of ancient Indian, or Chinese ceremonial prayer bell. Of course, if you were a Gang of Doctor Who fans, you would probably pin me down and punch me in the face until most, if not all of my teeth, had been removed. I would still laugh at you though. But anyway, the Dalek is NOT anything sacred, or ancient (except in the previously mentioned circle). A Dalek is:

The Daleks (pronounced "DAH-lecks"; IPA: /'dɑːlɛks/) are a fictional extraterrestrial race of mutants from the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. A Dalek is a grotesque mutated organism integrated with a tank-like mechanical casing. The resulting creatures are a pitiless race bent on universal conquest and domination. They are also, collectively, the greatest alien adversaries of the Time Lord known as the Doctor. Their most infamous catchphrase is "EX-TER-MI-NATE!", with each syllable individually screeched in a frantic electronic voice

The Daleks were created by writer Terry Nation and BBC designer Raymond Cusick and were introduced in December 1963 in the second Doctor Who serial.[1] They became an immediate hit with viewers, featuring in many subsequent serials and two 1960s motion pictures. They have become synonymous with Doctor Who, and their behaviour and catchphrases are part of British popular culture. "Hiding behind the sofa whenever the Daleks appear" has even been cited as an essential element of British cultural identity, along with Bovril and afternoon tea.


So, there I go. Don't I feel so much smarter now. I sure am glad I got to find out about something of great cultural significance.

From Wikipedia

No comments:

2009 EDSEL/Lepanto Industries. aLT DELETE. A Division of LABOR CORP. NaDA Publishing.