Monday, February 05, 2007

XLI


A series of bizarre circumstances, and my formative years spent in Indianapolis led me to kind of care about the events of last night's Super Bowl (XLI) The Chicago Bears (My current city of residence) V. the Indianapolis Colts (my roots). I admit that I am one of the last people on the planet to care about a football game, but a lifetime of hearing that the Colts were going to be good this season led to an overwhelming suspicion that they were due (mostly just so I could be done with it, and get on with my life). It is now up for time to tell if my wish will be fulfilled. But regardless of the background, I spent last night in front of the first Football Game I've ever seen from beginning to end. I would be lying if I said that I did not have fun, but I owe that to my friends.

The intrigue comes in after the game has been played, the chips eaten, the cokes empty, and the friends gone. To continue the theme (Super Bowl) My one remaining friend and I viewed the 1977 movie, Black Sunday. The plot concerns the actions of a group of Bosnian Terrorists called black September and their culminating attempt to detonate a lethal device from the Goodyear Blimp above the Miami Stadium at the Super Bowl. Similarities ring. First of all, I had had a similar plan, but abandoned it due to lack of interest. Secondly, last night's game was played at the same stadium. Perhaps they are always played in Miami, I don't know, and I don't care to find out. In Black Sunday the Pittsburgh Steelers take on the Dallas Cowboys. I remembered hearing that the Colt's head coach Tony Dungy was now the 3rd person to ever win the Super Bowl as a player and a coach. I also recalled that he won while playing for the Pittsburgh Steelers. AHA! Perhaps this was that very game! Well...almost. Tony Dungy won against the Dallas Cowboys in Miami while playing for the Steelers in Super Bowl XIII. Great! Must be. But not so fast, me. It appears Super Bowl XIII was played in 1979. Black Sunday was shot in 1976. Well what happened then? The Steelers beat the Dallas Cowboys in Miami in Super Bowl X. Hmm. But no Tony Dungy. Not until three years later under nearly the same circumstances, but no terrorists, and no blimp. Well too bad, almost would have been a very coincidental viewing. As it is, I'm not so sure.

I would also like to apologize to the Chicago Bears. It is my belief that you lost last night because we watched your 1985 Super Bowl Shuffle at half-time last night. It must have crippled you past the point of no return. My regrets for the disgrace you must come home to.

No comments:

2009 EDSEL/Lepanto Industries. aLT DELETE. A Division of LABOR CORP. NaDA Publishing.